Monday, April 5, 2010

Quick Spaghetti Squash and Tomato Sauce

Last week between work and work I had about 2 hours, and I wanted something homemade.  I had baked a spaghetti squash a few days before, so the lovely pasta like insides were waiting for me in the refrigerator.  I tossed together a quick tomato sauce and enjoyed.  The whole thing came together in less than 15 minutes.

 For those of you who have never baked a spaghetti squash (you should), all I did was poke a few holes in the squash with a knife and then stuck it in the oven at 350 degrees for one hour.  After an hour I turned the oven off, but left the squash in for another hour.  Then I took the squash out of the oven, cut it in half, and used a fork to scoop out the insides.  I put the "pasta" in plastic containers and kept it in the refrigerator until I was ready to use it.   Spaghetti squash is a great pasta alternative.  It makes me feel like I'm doing something a little healthy.  I plan on growing these squash in the garden this year, so I'll be having lots of healthy "pasta."

Quick Tomato Sauce and Spaghetti Squash

1 Tablespoon Olive oil
1 onion chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
30 oz can crushed tomatoes (use chopped or whole tomatoes for a chunkier sauce.  I use whatever is on hand)
15 oz can artichoke hearts drained and roughly chopped

Heat olive oil in large pan.  Sauté onions, red bell pepper, and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes until onions and and peppers are soft.  Add red pepper flakes and stir in veggies and oil.  Add tomato sauce and cook until sauce is warmed through.  Add artichoke hearts (you could add olives here if you want as well).  Toss in spaghetti squash.  Heat through and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment