Monday, March 29, 2010

Impulse Eating

I was really hungry when I got home from work tonight, but I don't keep a lot of convenience or quick foods in the house, and I only had an hour and a half before I needed to leave for my second job.  I grabbed some chips and salsa and threw a spaghetti squash in the oven to bake, so I could have it with some marinara after work.  During work I sat and fantasized (yes, this is the accurate word) about supper.  I needed to stop by the grocery store and knew I was in trouble.  Me + Starving + Grocery store = huge bill and lots of crap.

I surprised myself!  I limited myself to only impulse buys in the produce aisle.  I picked up some jicama to dip in guacamole (recipe later), and some beautiful red peppers.  I needed frozen strawberries for smoothies, and I also picked up a bag of frozen mixed fruit.  I am snacking on the mixed fruit now, and it is fantastic.  It was also on sale, so I got 3lbs. of fruit for under $3.  My last impulse buy was Bocca "Chicken" patties.  I forgot how good these were.  I know they're processed and not the best thing for me to eat, but it's better than the nachos I was making almost nightly because I needed something fast.

I came home and instead of using the squash I had a Bocca sandwich and some fruit.  I feel good because even though it was not the meal I was planning, it still wasn't bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment