Monday, March 29, 2010

3 bean salad

As I stated in my previous post, I was exhausted when I can home last night, and I needed to make something that would last most of the week for lunch.  I also had some veggies in the fridge that were looking a little past their prime, so I decided on 3-bean salad.  Please note the following recipe can take a lot of substitutions, if you have different beans or veggies add those.  If you like different spices or vinegars use them.  I found some sun-dried tomato oil on sale last week, so I used that.  Normally I would use olive oil.  This salad comes together very quickly, and gets better overnight. I will take a large portion of it for lunch with an orange.  It's very filling.

Three Bean Salad

15 oz can Garbanzo beans
15 oz can Pinto beans
15 oz can Dark Red Kidney beans
1 head broccoli florets, chopped into bite sized pieces
1 green bell pepper, chopped into bite sized pieces
1/3 cup oil (I recommend olive or canola)
1/4 cup plus 3 Tablespoons vinegar (I used white, but cider can be used)
3 Tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon dried basil (I use fresh if I can, but was out today)
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon crushed cumin

Drain and rinse beans and put them in large bowl.  Add chopped vegetables with the beans.  In a separate bowl mix oil, vinegar, sugar, red pepper, basil, oregano, and cumin until well combined.  Taste and adjust seasoning according to preference.  Pour over bean mixture and gently toss.  Serve.  Keep leftovers refrigerated.


The picture is not the best because I snapped it right before leaving for work this morning, but it gives you an idea.  Happy eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment