Sunday, March 21, 2010

First Post and Bargain Hunting

I've been wanting to have a place to talk about food and cooking for awhile now.  Finally, it occurred to me to start a blog.  The problem was the name.  What could I name this that would be original and describe my personality and cooking style.  Then it hit me...burlesque.  Burlesque performers made fun of serious subjects in an "undignified manner," and sometimes without their clothes.  I cook in an old style, making most dishes from scratch.  My microwave broke six months ago, and I feel no need to replace it.  I like to have fun in the kitchen.  I dance, I sing, sometimes I'm in my underwear, but I turn out very good products.  Cooking is something that has always come naturally to me.  I'm always amazing during lunch where microwaved T.V. dinners are the norm, and my homemade meals are looked at with awe.  I'm tired of people thinking that cooking is such a chore, something to dread at the end of the day, something that takes hours.

I'm not sure if anyone will read this or if it will simply be a creative outlet for my thoughts and cooking experiments.  I hope if anyone is reading this they will take it in the spirit in which it is intended.  I love being in the kitchen, I love having boobs, and I think lingerie is empowering.  I wear ruffly things and cook because it makes me happy.  I don't do it to fit into any kind of preconceived gender role.  Enough with the rambling; on with the cooking.

I love food and I love new dishes.  I especially love new dishes at a bargain.  I was in the local Goodwill today searching for something fabulous and vintage to wear, maybe some aprons or a dress.  My clothing search was disappointing, but before leaving I decided to check out the housewares.  I am always on the lookout for a cast iron grill pan.  I didn't find my grill pan, but I noticed some cute china saucers and plates with a rose pattern.  They look like something my grandma would've had, and I'm a sucker for vintage patterns.  It was $10 for the entire set.  Arriving at home I thought I would check out the manufacturer and  brand.  Turns out I bought $350 worth of dishes!  I am euphoric with my deal.  I can't wait to use these.  Now if I can only find a $10 china cabinet.



No comments:

Post a Comment